Thursday, February 12, 2015

15M finally

You just have to wait for the propagation gods to smile.  I've been chasing K1N on 15M since they first got on,  The pileups have been prodigious but my ability to hear them dismal.  I'm just too close.  I'm having the same trouble on 12M and 10M.  On 6 I've heard callers but not the Island.



Only 802 miles.  From here (central FL) to Philly is a farther piece.  This morning the pileup on 15 was huge.  I arrived home from work and things were hopping, but as usual I could barely hear K1N.  A couple hours later woofie hungie or whoever the DX god is smiled and he was peaking S8


I put myself in his receive passband 


and took my shot and he replied with a nice crisp W9OY 599 to which I responded 599 TU and it was done.  


K1N out the wazoo!  I have spread out my contacts and have not had to call more than a few times on any band and kept to one contact per band so I don't feel too piggy, and it has been a great joy to wring out my radio station with this DX pedition and try to get some measure of performance.  I'm only running a KW and have only a dipole at 55ft and a vertical and so far I've been holding my own against far greater stations and operators which is very satisfying.  Hellova good time :)

73  W9OY