Monday, February 1, 2016

VP8SGI South Georgia 15 Minutes and in the Log



The boys on South Sandwhich moved on up the ocean to South Georgia


You can get some idea of the move, blue is S. Georgia.

I called for several hours last night on 80M and 30M, very weak.  What a difference a day makes.  Tonight on the way to bed I stopped by the shack and they were consistent s5 to s7


So I fired up the amp and shot some lightnin' into the ether


The pileup was about 10khz wide but it was easy to pick out where VP8SGI was listening.  He was slowly moving up and down by a little bit about 8.5khz up working about 30 wpm CW at a nice QSO rate.  I shot around this area for about 15 minutes trying some tail ending plus or minus a few tens of hz.  Proved to be a good strategy, and soon enough he was in my log on 80M.


Here is a shot of the path, from FL to the Blue dot.


Now into the arms of Morpheus with a fine feeling of accomplishment.  My Flex 6500, KW and 80M vert delivers once again.

73  W9OY

Update: 


One thing I REALLY like is near instant confirmation of success from a DX pedition via clublog.  The OP for my QSO was AA7A, excellent experience.