Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Digi

I AM NOT a digital op (unless you call CW digital).  I don't even play one on TV.  This afternoon I decided to see how easy it would be to set up the 6300 on PSK31.  5 minutes later I was reading PSK31!  Here's how I did it.

I use winwarbler from the DXlab suite since its already on my computer.


I opened up Config and went to soundcard


and chose DAX audio RX1 under PSK ^ RTTY reception, and DAX Audio TX1 in Transmission.

I went to PTT and chose XCVR Ctrl App.


and closed Config

I went to DAX Control Panel and made sure Audio Stream 1 was checked and TX was chosen


I switched the mode on winwarbler to PSK31, and set my mode on the 6300 to DIGU and opened up the filter to 3.0 khz.  

and set my radio vfo A to 14.070000

Shazam!!


This suckah is workin!  

I switch on transmit to see what happens there by hitting Start and this shows up


You can adjust TX in the DAX Control panel and you can see 11 W power output in DDUTIL


I was not sure how to tell if I was over driving the radio so I posted to the Flex community list and Howard KY6LA suggested I look at my transmitted signal.  Flex allows full duplex so I turned on "show TX in waterfall" in the Radio Setup screen


and played with how my signal looks when adjusting the transmit gain.


BAD


Much cleaner

Output power was 12W in both cases, so I just slowly increased the TX Gain in DAX Control Panel until I noted no further increase in power with increasing TX Gain and then backed off to the point just before compression started.  His other suggestion was to dramatically decrease filter bandwidth on TX.

So how easy is it to get a digital signal on the air with the Flex 6300?  Easy as can be!  I went from no knowledge to fully set up in 5 minutes.  It took me a little longer to figure out how to set up the gain to insure a clean signal.  I'm sure the digi mavens have much more to offer on the ins and outs of digital modes with this radio and I'm sure there are more elegant programs than winwarbler but for quick and dirty it works for me. 

73  W9OY