Sunday, March 1, 2015

Video madness

I recently upgraded my processor to a 65W i7.  I wanted to try some screen casting.  I use the 4600 graphics processor which is onboard to the i7 and that drives 2 1080p monitors.  Finding a screen caster has proven to be a chore.  I have decided to try proven to be a chore, but I have decided to try BB Flashback Express.  I'm using the free version which is somewhat crippled in its feature set but I can record and publish in the .flv or .api format.  It's pretty easy to publish the .flv to youtube.  If I become addicted to this I may paythe $89 to upgrade which will allow me to voice over the video and add some labels and struff like that.  Be very afraid!  These are best viewed in full screen HD 1080p


This is a demonstration of the 6300's DSP capability in the ARRL 160M SSB contest.  This is high RF environment as the band is full of high power contest stations so I figured it would be a good test. I'm listening to TO66R and stations working him..  Also on freq is S57O under TO66R.  If you listen you can hear him with the DSP active but he would be entirely uncopiable without DSP  I also change filter BW.  Many people complain the DSP in the 6000 series "doesn't do anything" but without it S57O would be completely uncopiable.   You can judge for yourself.  This video is so 160M.  Listening to 3 different parts of the world NA, Caribbean, and EU all on the same freq.  This was my first attempt with BB express.  I use DAX audio strait off the radio to drive the recorder.  It was dead simple to set up



I was having such a good time playing I decided to record tuning around the 160 test from the bottom of the band and up.  


I got a little better at setting up BB Flashback.  It was cool to use the waterfall to click tune and it was interesting to see how well the radio does in separating stations.  There were many stations that overlapped but none were uncopiable because of it.  This radio has a REALLY good receiver!  ewas really interesting was the memory the waterfall provided.  Even though a signal was a dozen seconds in the past I could click the waterfall on the last seen signal and would basically be right on freq when the next call came around.  I used the FlexControl to fine tune.  This is immensely helpful to contest efficiency and work flow.  I basically just click tuned right up the band and had covered every station between 1800 and 1940 in like 9 minutes including the DX!

A friend sent me a cell video of his new 6500 and Anan100D comparing the APF.  I decided to make my own video.



The 6300 is on top and the audio is a little different.  I mix the headphone audio from the Anan and from the 6300 in separate channels on a professional mixer.  I tried to set both radios to best AGC-T.  Both are connected to separate verticals and both are set to 50hz and AGC-fast.  I can't really tell much difference but I think the Flex is a bit quieter.  

I'm going to try and capture a CW DX pileup next 

73  W9OY

NOTE:  all of these tests were conducted with SSDR software version 1.3.1.23 or 1.3.1.24  As the radio improves and new software is introduced expect improved results.  These videos are just a spot in time.  The advantage of SDR is the improving software.